Gallery

Video Tour


3D Virtual Tour

Floor Plans

Richmond District Videos

Features

The house at 7144 Geary Boulevard was built in 1916 at a time when the Outer Richmond District was starting to grow exponentially. Blocks and blocks of houses were erected out in “the Avenues” in the later 1910s and 20s to house San Francisco's growing population, which spread out from the city's core. The house at 7144 Geary Boulevard sat just south of the Fort Miley military reservation – today's Lincoln Park – which had been established in 1893 and was a prominent feature of the Outer Richmond neighborhood. It was surely a bustling place in 1917-1918, just a year after the house had been built and the United States found itself involved in World War I. By the early 1930s, the current Veterans Administration Hospital had been constructed on the Fort's former parade ground and many of the Army buildings had been demolished. Nevertheless, Fort Miley remained active throughout World War II, gaining new batteries and gun installations during that time. It was then decommissioned in 1948. This returned the surrounding neighborhood to a quieter, more peaceful atmosphere, especially years later when the National Park Service began administering the former military grounds, almost literally putting a National Park in the backyard of 7144 Geary Boulevard.

 

The house was constructed by John J. Pratt, a carpenter/builder who lived in the neighborhood. In the 1910s and 1920s, it was very common for independent builders to buy groupings of city lots and build speculatively. This appears to have been what Pratt did, as he also built three neighboring buildings to the east, although they are now gone. While he sold those buildings for a profit soon after they were built, he appears to have retained ownership of 7144 Geary Boulevard until 1919, when he transferred the deed to his son, Roy A. Pratt, a lumberyard worker. The Pratt family, thus, kept the subject house as an investment, renting it out.

 

The house was rented by Antolin and Hope Raventos. Antolin Raventos was born in Spain in 1875 and immigrated to the United States in 1886, where he married Hope, who was from Colorado. Antolin was employed as a merchant and manufacturer of baskets, either working in or, more likely, owning a basket and antique shop. In 1922, the Raventoses purchased the property they had been renting from the Pratts, then quickly sold it and moved to Marin County.

 

Gertrude B. McGrath was the buyer. She was born in Connecticut in 1886 and death records indicate that she was a theater actress for fifty years, although no additional information was found about this intriguing career. Gertrude was married to Timothy M. McGrath, born in Ireland in 1872, who was the manager of a brewery known as the Eastern Malt Production Company. The McGraths lived in the house and appear to have taken in lodgers for a time, as Michael and Antoinetta Meller were also listed at the address in the early 1920s. Michael Meller was a salesman. In 1930, the McGraths still lived at the subject address and Timothy McGrath was working as a fight promoter. The drastic change in career suggests that the McGraths were forced to respond to the hardships of the Depression; although they continued to own and live in their house. In 1940, Gertrude McGrath's mother, Matilda Sternberg lived with them. Timothy McGrath died in 1950 and Gertrude continued to live in the house until her death in 1973.

 

The house was subsequently purchased by Joseph C. Field, a retired police officer. Field was widowed and in his 90s when he lived at 7144 Geary Boulevard. He died in 1978 and the house sat vacant for a number of years, before it was purchased by William L. Ferdon III, a real estate agent, in 1981. An investment for Ferdon, the house was quickly sold again, passing quickly through the ownership of Charles and Lyla Samo, Anthony and Nancy Angelo, and the Bayside Mortgage & Loan Company, before being purchased by Oleg Kofman and Ludmila Teplinsky in 1983. Kofman worked for the California Academy of Gymnastics, but lived farther east on Geary Boulevard. The subject house appears to have continued sitting vacant during Kofman and Teplinsky's ownership. In 1989, it was purchased by the Kogan family.

 

The house's architecture illustrates a mix of the contemporaneous Edwardian and Craftsman styles, both popular starting at the turn of the twentieth century, with Edwardian fading in the mid 1910s and Craftsman continuing to the 1930s. The Edwardian style referred to King Edward VII and the architecture produced during his reign in Britain. It was characterized by tall rectilinear facades, smooth stucco cladding, and Classical elements (like the balustrade and flared and molded ledge under the second story windows); all features found on this house. The Craftsman style valued rustic modernity and the concept (if not literal practice) of hand-craftsmanship. It added features like the projecting beams under the first story window ledge, the decoratively muntined windows, and the gable roofline with exposed rafter tails.

 

The house features a basement level garage entrance, sized for a single early automobile, which would have been a notable feature as personal automobiles became more attainable and popular in the early twentieth century. The original doors would have been double, side-hinged, wood doors. To the left, the primary entrance to the house is elevated above street  level, a common arrangement for San Francisco row houses. Staunch coped cheek walls, steps, and a depressed arch opening lead the visitor to a sheltered vestibule containing a paneled wood door. Above the entrance is a small balustraded balcony, accessed by a fully-glazed wood door. Original wood-sash windows feature a dozen tiny square lites at the top of a single large pane and can be found at the balcony and also in a bank of four at the first story and as a pair at the second story. Projecting ledges with decoratively molded fascia and supported by projecting beams and a flared cavetto base define the main groups of windows. The roofline features a low-pitched gable end emphasized with wide flat bargeboards and exposed rafter tails.

 

 

Property Brochure

Neighborhood

If you are looking for a beautiful neighborhood in San Francisco surrounded by the most popular parks in the Bay Area, the Outer Richmond District is a great place to call home. The community is filled with gorgeous row houses that hug the sloped streets of the Richmond District. With its variety of ethnically diverse communities throughout the neighborhood, living in the Richmond District is a true cultural experience.

While the westernmost park of Geary Road can be heavily trafficked, there are plenty of great restaurants and shops to explore on nearby Balboa Street. Enjoy your morning coffee along with a tasty breakfast sandwich at the highly-rated La Promenade Cafe, or stop by the long-standing Simple Pleasures Cafe if you’re craving a bagel or muffin. The Outer Richmond neighborhood is a great place to explore a variety of cuisines around the world, including the Al-Masri Egyptian Restaurant and the local Vietnamese favorite Mr. Banh Mi.

One of the best features of the Outer Richmond District is it’s within walking distance of Golden Gate Park. The park is home to a wide variety of different activities and festivals, including a free bluegrass festival, as well as the Outside Lands Music Festival. Golden Gate park also features several bike and jogging paths, botanical and Japanese gardens, and since the park is closed to car traffic on Sundays, it provides a peaceful escape from the constant bustle of San Francisco.

The Outer Richmond District is also just a mile away from the scenic Ocean Beach. Known for its high winds and strong currents, Ocean Beach is perfect for surfing, biking along the coast, or simply hanging out. Plus, the beach is dog-friendly and as long as your pooch is well-trained, they can enjoy the beach off leash!

Outer Richmond District residents can explore one of the Bay Area’s most popular tourist attractions found at Sutro Baths. What originally began as a bathhouse in the late 19th Century, Sutro Baths suffered through a variety of economic hardships and ultimately succumbed to a fire in the mid-60s.

After a day of exploring the ruins, most tourists and locals enjoy a fantastic meal with unrivaled ocean views at the Cliff House, which is another amazing Bay Area landmark. The Cliff House has been dazzling its guests with their amazing fare for over 150 years, and if you live in the Outer Richmond District, this restaurant can be enjoyed any time of the week.

Contact


Robert Moffatt

#1 Listing Agent Richmond DistrictSotheby's International RealtyDRE# 01786315415.722.4038 mobilewww.robertmoffatt.com

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.